Saturday, August 18, 2012

WHASSUP? NO, WHAT'S SUP?

In case you've never heard of it, SUP is short for Stand Up Paddling.  It's the new craze where you go out on the water on a board somewhat similar to a surfboard and you stand up on it and maneuver yourself around using a paddle.  It's wider than a surfboard and constructed a little differently.  You're given a long pole with a paddle on the end of it, and about two minutes of instruction, and off you go.  And I tried it today for the first time.  What a great experience.  I liked it so much I'm considering buying a board of my own so I can go whenever I want to, weather and time permitting.

I was a little timid at first.  When you first stand up on the board, it seems so unsteady and unnatural.  But within a matter of about 5-10 minutes, you begin to get a little more used to it and a bit more comfortable standing and paddling your way around the harbor.  I guess you get your sea legs.

It was a very warm day.  Of course I put sunscreen on, but realized in no time that I put the NON-sport type on my forehead and the crap was running into my eyes like nobody's business.  And I just had to suffer through the burn because I had nothing to wipe the stuff out of my eyes.  Next time I think I'll just wear a hat. 

Anyway, it's a good workout.  Good for your arms, legs and core.  I managed to stay topside.  My friend, on the other hand, forgot for a moment that he was on a board on the water, and turned his head a little too quickly to see where I was.  That movement was just enough to catch him off guard, throw him off balance, and he took a slow motion spill into the harbor.  I actually thought he was just joking around.  But he says no. 

We finished the day at our local brewery for some cold beer and munchies.  We had a great time and will definitely do it again! 

(I wonder how this old body is going to feel when I try to get out of bed tomorrow morning.)

No comments:

Post a Comment