Saturday, April 14, 2012

BUTTERFLIES AND BALLS

The San Diego Zoo's Wild Animal Park changed it's name to the San Diego Zoo Safari Park.  I still call it the Wild Animal Park.  I mean, why change a good thing.  And what is the point of changing it after a zillion years of it being called the Wild Animal Park?  It had a safari and wild animals before.  It has a safari and wild animals now.  It has been upgraded/modernized.  So has the zoo.  The San Diego Zoo.  That's still called the San Diego Zoo. I don't get it and I don't like it.  So, I still call it the Wild Animal Park.  And when I do, people feel compelled to correct me.  "It's the Safari Park now - not the Wild Animal Park."   I swear I hear a little "neener neener" after that, so I jump on the opportunity to correct the hell out of them.  "No.  It's actually now called the San Diego Zoo Safari Park.  Dumbass."  I mean, The Corrector obviously knew what I was referring to so, what, did they just want to show me how smart and current they are?  I don't care.  I'm smart too.  I'm also a proud card-carrying member of the Zoological Society of San Diego.  And if you've never been to the Wild Animal Park, I suggest you find a way to fit that in to your next trip to the San Diego area.  Don't go in the summertime.  That's when the animals are more lethargic (look it up).  Springtime is a great time to visit The Park.   Yes, I just shortened the name to The Park - but only because you already know I'm talking about the Wild Animal Park.  Not Central Park.  Not Yosemite National Park.  Not Gorky Park.  You get the idea.  So, check it out in the Spring.  You might get lucky enough to visit during their "Butterfly Jungle" event.  It only lasts about 3 weeks, but you get to see and photograph some very beautiful butterflies.  Butterflies in abundance.  These are just a few of the photos I took while I was there.  We also saw other animals.  Wild animals.  Lions and cheetahs.  Giraffes and rhinos.  We also took a tram ride that took us into a part of the park that you can't really walk into because the animals are, well...wild.  We had a great time and I'd recommend it for a day of family fun.

                          I also saw lion balls.  Here's a picture of them...


No comments:

Post a Comment